As this blog touches on self-care methods and other fun home decor and DIY projects, I have to make a recommendation this week! I highly recommend the Netflix original show Queer Eye!
This show is truly heart warming and touches on everything I love and everything that inspired me to start a blog in the first place, all in one episode. The Fab 5 (the 5 gay men that feature in the show) set out every episode on a mission to help improve the life of someone that was nominated by their family or friends.
The premise of the show is that these 5 gay men all have their own specialty in different areas — fashion, food, culture, home decor/renovations, and hair/self-care. These men are so inspiring with what the accomplish with each nominee in a week. They get to know the nominee and their lifestyle, family, career and some of their deepest insecurities and try and move forward in a plausible way with them.
The Fab 5 help the nominees out by styling them in ways that suit their budget (No pun intended Ha!), style and personal goals, make changes to their home that will help them function more efficiently in their everyday life AND fix things they have not have had the money or time to do on their own. The Fab 5 also conquer a fresh hair style for the nominee and teach them affordable and achievable self-care regimens, as well as teaching them how to cook a meal that has some special connection to them, and finally addressing some insecurities in their life and completing an eye-opening activity with the culture expert.
You may wonder why I am recommending this to you, and you may be thinking it is just a make-over show. But I can ASSURE you that the magic that goes on in the week the Queer Eye cast spends with the nominee is inspiring. They touch on so many important points of self-care and how everyone deserves happiness no matter what that happiness may be. They take insecurities and lift them from the low point they have put themselves down to. They touch on amazing life topics such as homophobia in the church, racism, mental-health and addictions and SO SO SO MUCH MORE!
Please check out this show on Netflix it truly is everything I would love to someday encompass in this blog. But until then get a box of tissues because the phenomenal change that these Fab 5 make in peoples lives is a tear-jerker at times and life changing in others.
Header photo credited to: Tyler Feder owner of roaringsoftly on etsy
Welcome back everyone! My past posts have been related to the ways in which I find room decor and design can make you a more zen person. Today’s blog is going to be about the ways in which I like to brighten my room with living decor — plants!
Making plant pieces for your room or house can be as cheap or as expensive as you would like, and that is one of its biggest decor perks. I have made a few example pieces with my roommates for our home to give everyone a little how to..
- First we started with a bowl that we already had available to us in our home. This is one of the perks of having plant decor, because you can put it in something as simple as a cute tea cup, mug or even mason jar! (We have also made one with some of the plants in the photos and used an old candle holder)
- We then purchased succulent soil which was about $5 at Canadian Tire for us. I have in the past had successful succulent plants with regular potting soil (from the dollar store actually!!)
- From there we purchased a few succulent plants from a local shop called PLANT in downtown Guelph, ON.. I have found there are many shops like it usually in downtown areas — Walmart and Canadian Tire also have really cute and affordable small plants and succulents
- Succulents usually run around $3-8 depending on the size and type. I think succulents are the best idea for room decor because they do not require much care which is nice if you are a student or busy person like myself!
- Succulents are also a great idea because they are small but usually very dynamic and create a greenery look for your bedroom or home without being to much or to messy!
- From there we planted the succulents we chose in our bowl and made sure they were surrounded and supported by the dirt. We chose to decorate with small river rocks which can also be found at the dollar store or craft stores.
- Decorating or making a theme to your living decor piece is the most fun and personal part of the process other than picking out your plants. We chose to use simple white sand and river rocks but feel free to get more elaborate. Some people have chosen to even theme in little fairy gardens or gnome homes! I have shared many more ideas to my Pinterest board from other creators.
Plants are a great choice for home and room decor, especially succulents if you are like myself and are not looking for more than a couple waterings a week! Plants add brightness and greenery to a room that I believe uplifts my mood and makes me feel grounded. Give it a try and always feel free to share your attempts with me!