Welcome back everyone! My past posts have been related to the ways in which I find room decor and design can make you a more zen person. Today’s blog is going to be about the ways in which I like to brighten my room with living decor — plants!
Making plant pieces for your room or house can be as cheap or as expensive as you would like, and that is one of its biggest decor perks. I have made a few example pieces with my roommates for our home to give everyone a little how to..
- First we started with a bowl that we already had available to us in our home. This is one of the perks of having plant decor, because you can put it in something as simple as a cute tea cup, mug or even mason jar! (We have also made one with some of the plants in the photos and used an old candle holder)
- We then purchased succulent soil which was about $5 at Canadian Tire for us. I have in the past had successful succulent plants with regular potting soil (from the dollar store actually!!)
- From there we purchased a few succulent plants from a local shop called PLANT in downtown Guelph, ON.. I have found there are many shops like it usually in downtown areas — Walmart and Canadian Tire also have really cute and affordable small plants and succulents
- Succulents usually run around $3-8 depending on the size and type. I think succulents are the best idea for room decor because they do not require much care which is nice if you are a student or busy person like myself!
- Succulents are also a great idea because they are small but usually very dynamic and create a greenery look for your bedroom or home without being to much or to messy!
- From there we planted the succulents we chose in our bowl and made sure they were surrounded and supported by the dirt. We chose to decorate with small river rocks which can also be found at the dollar store or craft stores.
- Decorating or making a theme to your living decor piece is the most fun and personal part of the process other than picking out your plants. We chose to use simple white sand and river rocks but feel free to get more elaborate. Some people have chosen to even theme in little fairy gardens or gnome homes! I have shared many more ideas to my Pinterest board from other creators.
Plants are a great choice for home and room decor, especially succulents if you are like myself and are not looking for more than a couple waterings a week! Plants add brightness and greenery to a room that I believe uplifts my mood and makes me feel grounded. Give it a try and always feel free to share your attempts with me!